Home  |  HKBU  |  Faculty of Science  |  Sitemap  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us      繁體  简体

Frequently Asked Questions

A. Admission Criteria / Arrangement

Q1: Is there any special weighting for specific subjects like Chinese Language, English Language, Combined Science, Mathematics M1/M2?
A1: No. Equal weighting is imposed on all 4 core subjects and 1 elective subject. Mathematics M1/M2 is considered as 1 elective subject.
Q2: Will interview performance be considered as one of the selection criteria in JUPAS selection procedure?
A2: No interview will be arranged due to time constraint.
Q3: Will any subject(s) be considered as bonus points in tie-breakers?
A3: When two or more students attain the same score in 4 core subjects and 1 elective subject, a science-related elective subject is preferred. In general, the followings will be commonly considered (in descending order) as tie-breakers:
  1. Any science-related elective subject(s)
  2. Good results in language subjects
Q4: For JUPAS Admission 2016, the mean score of Bachelor of Science = 20.5. How is this calculated?
A4: The admission score was calculated by counting 4 core subjects and 1 elective subject, with Grade 5**=7, Grade 5*=6, and so forth.
Q5: The elective subject is not mentioned specifically. Will I get a higher chance to be admitted by having all science-related subjects rather than studying only Physics and Chemistry?
A5: It is not a must to have science-related elective subject. Any subjects such as Arts or Business will also be counted. A science-related elective subject is preferred in tie-breakers.
Q6: Will the choice banding affect my chance of admission to Faculty of Science?
A6: This factor is especially crucial in tie-breakers. A Band A applicant is more preferable to a Band B or Band C applicant.
Q7: Is there any chance to be admitted if Bachelor of Science (JS 2510) is placed in Band B or Band C, or only Band A applicants will be admitted?
A7: Yes. Although the majority of students are admitted via Band A, putting Bachelor of Science in Band B or Band C will still get a chance to be admitted. A Band A applicant is more preferable to a Band B or Band C applicant in tie-breakers.
Please note that the banding will affect your application for the Hall Scholarship Scheme which requires applicants to put Bachelor of Science (JS 2510) in Band A.
Q8: Will Other Experiences and Achievements in Competitions / Activities (OEA) be considered by Faculty of Science as one of the admission criteria?
A8: No, OEA will not be considered as one of the admission criteria.
Q9: Will HKDSE results in two sittings (combined certificate) be accepted in application for Faculty of Science?
A9: Yes. We accept repeat results and will count the best results for meeting the entrance requirements and calculation of admission scores.
Q10: Regarding the English Language qualifications, what are the approved qualifications equivalent to Level 3 of HKDSE English Language?
A10: Faculty of Science will follow the English Language Qualifications requirement of HKBU. You may refer to the Academic Registry’s website below for more details.
JUPAS applicants:
Non-JUPAS applicants:
Q11: For the students obtained International Qualifications or studying relevant courses, e.g. General Certificate of Education (GCE) Exams, International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or SAT etc., should they apply via Non-JUPAS route? What is the admission requirement?
A11: Yes, they should apply via Non-JUPAS route. Faculty of Science will follow the admission requirements of HKBU and select suitable applicants for interview. Please note that all the students admitted via Non-JUPAS route should be interviewed.
You may refer to the Academic Registry’s website below for the admission requirements of HKBU:
Q12: What if I take more than one elective? Is there any preference to any subject?
A12: The admission score for ranking the students will only include the 4 core subjects and the elective with best performance. However, we will take the additional elective subject into consideration when ranking the students with same score. In addition, science related subjects will have a privilege in this ranking process.
Q13: What if I take Combined Science? Will you count the two disciplines taken under Combined Science?
A13: No. Combined Science will be considered as one subject.
Q14: Is there any specific requirement on the Elective Subject if I want to choose a particular Major offered under Faculty of Science?
A14: No. There is no such criterion on the selection of Elective Subject. For instance, even if you are determined to major in Chemistry in Year 2, it is not a must for you to choose Chemistry as the elective subject when you sit for the HKDSE Examination.
Q15: We are allowed to choose Combined Science instead of majoring in a particular field of science during high school. As a result, we may receive less scientific training and we are worried if that would be a big problem for our studies in university. Will there be any bridging programme or extra courses for us to build up a strong science foundation for our studies thereafter?
A15: You can be assured that no matter you have chosen combined science or particular field(s) of science as your elective(s), you can always benefit from our programmes by making good use of the four years' undergraduate study period. After taking the 'Common First Year', all students are expected to have the capability to handle their major fields of studies starting from Year 2.

B. Admission Statistics / Plan (both JUPAS & Non-JUPAS routes)

Q16: How many students (both JUPAS and Non-JUPAS) were admitted for 2016 undergraduate admission?
A16: A total of 225 students were admitted in 2016 entry.
Q17: Which curriculum / year of study will Non-JUPAS applicants be admitted?
A17: Applicants applying via Non-JUPAS route will normally be considered for admission to Year 1 of 4-year curriculum programmes, while sub-degree final year students or holders, transfer students (who have completed at least one year of study of a 3-year degree programme or two years of study of a 4-year degree programme) and degree holders are eligible to apply for Year 3 of 4-year curriculum programmes.

C. Major Programme Assignment

Q18: As students are now admitted on a faculty basis, is it becoming more difficult to get into the desired major programme of study due to pre-determined quota?
A18: Students will be assigned to major programme(s) / concentration(s) under a quota system. For those who have attained 5* in relevant HKDSE science subject(s), they will be guaranteed for admission to the relevant major programme. The criteria for major programme assignment for other students will include the performance in relevant "Common first Year" course, the cGPA attained by the end of Year 1 and interview performance, if applicable.

With reference to past 3 years’ statistics, it is anticipated that more than 90% students could be admitted to their preferred major programme / concentration.
Q19: If I score 5* in Mathematics M1/M2, will I be guaranteed for admission to the same list of major programmes as Mathematics core subject does?
A19: No, attaining 5* in Mathematics M1/M2 will not be guaranteed for admission into relevant major programmes. 5* in Mathematics core subject in HKDSE will be guaranteed for admission into relevant major programme(s)/concentration(s).
Q20: If I would like to major in Computer Science, do I need to study other 'Common First Year' courses as well in my first year of study?
A20: Yes. Students need to study all "Common First Year" courses.
Q21: Do students of different background take exactly the same set of 'Common First Year' courses?
A21: Yes, most of them do, except for Calculus. Two courses of different levels are especially offered for Calculus. All students are automatically assigned to the basic course, whereas advanced level course is optional. Interested students may opt for the advanced level course if they already have some background knowledge on Calculus.
Q22: Will it be hard for me to catch up with the 'Common First Year' courses, if I have only studied Biology in HKDSE?
A22: No. Most of the students can keep up with the first year curriculum, even those without any related background.

D. Information on Major Programmes

Q23: For BSc (Hons) Computer Science, what is the main difference between concentration in Computing and Software Technologies and Information Systems and Analytics?
A23: Concentration in Computing and Software Technologies focuses on key concepts and principles behind the contemporary computing and software technologies, as well as the practices of the technological innovations in the ICT industry while concentration in Information Systems and Analytics emphasizes on key concepts and best practices related to information systems design and integration, as well as information analytics for creative applications in organizations and enterprises.
Q24: What will students learn from "Green Energy Science", the new undergraduate programme offered by Department of Physics?
A24: The new undergraduate programme, "Green Energy Science", focuses on four main areas including energy sources and generation, environmental impact of energy usage, physical principles of energy generation as well as energy-related social science and economic problems.

E. Exchange Opportunities

Q25: Does Faculty of Science offer any exchange programmes to undergraduate students?
A25: Yes, Year 2 and Year 3 students under 4-year curriculum are eligible to apply for the exchange programmes on offer. In general, credit transfer can be arranged for relevant courses via Academic Registry (AR).

F. Career Prospects

Q26: If I am going to major in "Analytical and Testing Sciences", does it mean that I shall be qualified to work in the field of forensic science upon graduation?
A26: You may work in testing laboratories to perform food safety, bioanalytical as well as forensic science related tests, but further qualifications are required to become a forensic science professional.
Q27: What is the career prospect for graduates majoring in Green Energy Science?
A27: Graduates with a major in Green Energy Science are expected to take up posts relevant to energy management, green technology, research and development on solar cell technology as well as marketing planning of clean energy.
Q28: What is / are the most popular employment sector(s) that graduates often land in?
A28: Graduates of the Faculty of Science can take up posts in various fields, including IT, forensic science, government and commercial fields such as Finance. The others often pursue scientific research.

G. Others

Q29: Why Grades like 5**, 5* are used instead of the conventional letter grade system?
A29: The standard of level was set by the Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority, and the levels 5** and 5* are awarded to the top and next top groups of candidates within level 5 to provide finer discrimination of candidates' ability at the top end to facilitate tertiary institutions and employers to select suitable candidates.
Q30: Can I use my HKDSE results in two sittings (combined certificate) for Science Entrance Scholarship?
A30: No. Only HKDSE results attained in the year of entry will be considered for Science Entrance Scholarship.
Q31: Can I get more than one scholarship? Is there any quota in each type of scholarship?
A31: Yes. No quota system or upper limit will be adopted for attaining scholarships. However, students need to satisfy the stipulated minimum requirements in order to be awarded the scholarship.
Q32: How do I fulfill the Minor Programme requirement?
A32: You must fulfill the minor programme requirements by making use of the units for free electives. A minimum of 15 units is required to pursue a Minor programme. Please note that a course cannot be double-counted as a major and minor course at the same time. You may refer to the Academic Registry’s website below for List of Minor Programmes:
Q33: While I am studying a particular programme under Faculty of Science, can I do a non-science minor course as well?
A33: Yes. Students seeking to pursue the study of a minor programme will be required to fulfill 15 units of courses specified by the offering department/programme. Upon completion of the 15 units required for the minor programmes, you should apply to the Academic Registry for approval.
Q34: Can I do a double major while studying in Faculty of Science?
A34: Double major programme is not offered under the Faculty, Minor programmes are available for science students.

Common First Year courses

"Common First Year" courses refer to the list of science courses that all of you will study in the first year, so you can build up a solid foundation before moving on to your Major programme.