Bachelor of Science (JUPAS Code: JS2510)

Frequently Asked Questions

A. What’s New

Q1: Are there any new programmes offered by the Faculty of Science for 2019 entry?

Faculty of Science will offer three new undergraduate programmes for 2019 entry.

Q2: What is the uniqueness of the new undergraduate programme “Bioresource and Agricultural Science”?

The programme is the first multi-disciplinary undergraduate programme in Hong Kong covering agriculture, landscaping, social, environment, economic and sustainability. Internship experiences in the industry will be provided for all students.

Q3: What is the aim for the new undergraduate programme “Business Computing and Data Analytics”?

This programme provides students with training in advanced programming and data-analytics skills, as well as to broaden their awareness of the business applications of these skills. It nurtures the next-generation business leaders with the latest technical know-how to succeed in fast-changing technologies for business.

Q4: What is the Year one curriculum of JS 2510?

Year 1 curriculum (JS 2510)

Course Code




Introduction to Biology

Choose a minimum of 4 out of 5 Science Common Core courses



Introduction to Chemistry



Essence of Computing



Introduction to Mathematics and Statistics



Introduction to Physics and Energy Science



Integrated Science Laboratory




University Core – Chinese

Recommended to take in Year 1



University Core – English I



University Core – English II


General Education (GE) Programme + University Core + Free elective

A minimum of 18 units of GE and 13 units of University Core are required to take in the 4-year study

≤ 14



#Students are recommended to take a study load not exceeding 18 units in a semester
*For detailed requirements of GE and University Core, please refer to:

Q5: What is the programme structure for the 4-year curriculum?

The required number of units for graduation of all science majors is 128 units, including:

Free Elective24-32
University Core13
General Education18

Except Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Bioresource and Agricultural Science that is 129 units with an additional 1 unit for summer internship.

Details of Programme Structure:

Q6: Will there be any admission interviews for Bachelor of Science (JS 2510) for JUPAS applicants?

No admission interview will be conducted for JUPAS applicants by the Faculty of Science starting in 2019 entry.

B. JUPAS Admissions

Q7: What are the admission schemes offered by the Faculty of Science?

Faculty of Science will admit students under 2 schemes.

  • Broad-based Admission: Bachelor of Science (JS 2510)
  • Programme-based Admission: BSc (Hons) in Business Computing and Data Analytics (JS 2910)

Q8: What is broad-based admission scheme for JS 2510?

Students will be admitted on a Faculty basis with broad-based education in all scientific fields in Year 1.

The Year 1 broad-based curriculum allows students to explore and experience various scientific disciplines before choosing their Major study programme in Year 2.

Q9: What are the entrance requirements for the Bachelor of Science (JS 2510)?

To satisfy the minimum requirements for the entrance to the Faculty of Science, applicants are required to achieve the following minimum grades in HKDSE.


Minimum Entry Level

Chinese Language


English Language




Liberal Studies


1 Elective Subject *



*Remarks: Any HKDSE elective subjects, including Extended Part of Mathematics (Module 1 or Module 2)

Q10: Will any subject(s) be considered as bonus points in tie-breakers?

When applicants attain the same score in 4 core subjects and 1 elective subject, a science-related elective subject is preferred. In general, the followings will be commonly considered as tie-breakers:

  • Any science-related elective subject(s)
  • Place Bachelor of Science (JS2510) in higher band (e.g. Band A)

Q11: What is the mean of admission score for JS 2510? How to calculate the score?

In the past 3 years, the mean of admission score is 20-21. It was calculated by counting 4 core subjects and 1 elective, with Grade 5**=7, Grade 5*=6, and so forth.

Q12: Are there any admissions interview (for JS 2510) conducted by the Faculty of Science?

No admission interview will be conducted for JUPAS applicants.

Q13: Do the applicants need to study science-related subjects in secondary school?

No. It is not a must to have science-related elective subject. Any subjects such as Arts or Business will also be counted. However, a science-related elective subject is preferred.

Q14: Will the choice banding affect my chance of admission to Faculty of Science?

When applicants attain the same score in 4 core subjects and 1 elective subject, applicants put JS 2510 in higher band will have higher chance to be admitted.

Q15: Is there any chance to be admitted if Bachelor of Science (JS 2510) is placed in Band B or lower, or only Band A applicants will be admitted?

Yes. Although the majority of students are admitted via Band A, putting Bachelor of Science in Band B or lower will still get a chance to be admitted as well. Applicants with the same score but put JS 2510 in higher band will have higher chance to be admitted.

Please note that the banding will affect your application for the Hall Scholarship Scheme which requires applicants to put Bachelor of Science (JS 2510) in Band A.

Q16: Will Other Experiences and Achievements in Competitions / Activities (OEA) be considered by Faculty of Science as one of the admission criteria?

No, OEA will not be considered as one of the admission criteria.

Q17: Will HKDSE results in two sittings (combined certificate) be accepted in application for Faculty of Science?

Yes. We accept repeat results and will count the best results for meeting the entrance requirements and calculation of admission scores.

Q18: Regarding the English Language qualifications, what are the approved qualifications equivalents to Level 3 of HKDSE English Language?

Faculty of Science will follow the English Language Qualifications requirement of HKBU. For more details:

Q19: Will I be given bonus points if I take more than one elective? Is there any preference to any subject?

The admission score for ranking applicants will only include the 4 core subjects and the elective with best performance. However, we will take the additional elective subject into consideration when ranking the students with same score. In addition, science related subjects will have a privilege in this ranking process.

Q20: What if I take Combined Science? Will you count the two disciplines taken under Combined Science?

No. Combined Science will be considered as one subject.

Q21: Is there any specific requirement on the elective subject if I want to choose a particular Major offered under Faculty of Science?

No. There is no such criterion on the selection of Elective Subject. For instance, even if you are determined to major in Chemistry in Year 2, it is not a must for you to choose Chemistry as the elective subject when you sit for the HKDSE Examination.

Q22: We are allowed to choose Combined Science instead of majoring in a particular field of science during secondary school. As a result, we may receive less scientific training and we are worried if that would be a big problem for our studies in university. Will there be any bridging programme or extra courses for us to build up a strong science foundation for our studies thereafter?

You can be assured that no matter you have chosen combined science or particular field(s) of science as your elective(s), you can always benefit from our programmes by making good use of the four years' undergraduate study period. Under the Year One Curriculum, all students are expected to have the capability to handle their major fields of studies starting from Year 2.

C. Non-JUPAS Admissions

Q23: Will there be any admission interviews?

Yes, admission interview will be conducted for all Non-JUPAS applicants.

Q24: Which year of study will Non-JUPAS applicants be admitted?

Applicants applying via Non-JUPAS route will normally be considered for admission to Year 1, while sub-degree final year students or holders, transfer students (who have completed at least two years of study of a 4-year degree programme) and degree holders are eligible to apply for Year 3 on programme-based admission. For more details:

Q25: For the students obtained International Qualifications or studying relevant courses, e.g. General Certificate of Education (GCE) Exams, International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or SAT etc., should they apply via Non-JUPAS route? What is the admission requirement?

Yes, they should apply via Non-JUPAS route. Faculty of Science will follow the admission requirements of HKBU and select suitable applicants for interview. For more details:

Q26: I am now studying outside Hong Kong. Do I have to arrange a trip for the interview?

Online interviews may be arranged for eligible applicants not living in Hong Kong. Interview invitations will be sent by email.

D. Major Programme Assignment

Q27: Is there any quota restriction or assessments for science students choosing a major of study in Year Two?

Students are free to choose any Science Major under Bachelor of Science (JS2510), subject to the fulfillment of the minimum requirements set out by the respective departments and the teaching quality of the programmes are upheld in view of changing number of students.

Q28: Will it be hard for me to catch up with the courses of Year One Curriculum, if I did not study science subjects in HKDSE?

No. Most of the students can keep up with the first year curriculum, even those without any related background.

E. Student Life

Q29: What experiential learning activities are available at HKBU Faculty of Science?

The Faculty of Science strives to nurture students to become all-rounded global citizens, to initiate and act upon ideas, both within the campus and beyond by offering many experiential learning activities, including:

  • Overseas Exchange Programme
  • Overseas Undergraduates Research Experience
  • Internship
  • Metropolitan Attachment Programme

Q30: Does Faculty of Science offer any exchange programmes to undergraduate students?

Yes, Year 2 and Year 3 students under 4-year curriculum are eligible to apply for the exchange programmes on offer. In general, unit transfer can be arranged for relevant courses via Academic Registry (AR).

F. Scholarships

Q31: Are there any admission scholarship provided by the Faculty of Science?

The Faculty of Science offers admission scholarships to our students, such as Science Entrance Scholarship and Hall Scholarship Scheme.

Q32: Can I use my HKDSE results in two sittings (combined certificate) for Science Entrance Scholarship?

No. Only HKDSE results attained in the year of entry will be considered for Science Entrance Scholarship.

Q33: Can I get more than one scholarship? Is there any quota in each type of scholarship?

Yes. No quota system or upper limit will be adopted for attaining scholarships. However, students need to satisfy the stipulated minimum requirements in order to be awarded the scholarship.

G. Career Prospect

Q34: What is / are the most popular employment sector(s) that graduates often land in?

Graduates of the Faculty of Science can take up posts in various fields, including IT, forensic science, government and commercial fields such as Finance. The others often pursue scientific research.

Q35: What is the employment rate of science graduates?

Our science graduates’ employment rate is 99% in the past 3 years, inclusive of 20% further studies.

H. Others

Q36: How do I fulfill the Minor Programme requirement?

You must fulfill the minor programme requirements by making use of the units for free electives. A minimum of 15 units is required to pursue a Minor programme. Please note that a course cannot be double-counted as a major and minor course at the same time. You may refer to the Academic Registry’s website below for List of Minor Programmes:

Q37: While I am studying a particular programme under Faculty of Science, can I do a non-science minor course as well?

Yes. Students seeking to pursue the study of a minor programme will be required to fulfill 15 units of courses specified by the offering department/programme. Upon completion of the 15 units required for the minor programmes, you should apply to the Academic Registry for approval.

Q38: Can I do a double major while studying in Faculty of Science?

Double major programme is not offered under the Faculty, Minor programmes are available for science students.